Do I need VAT receipts?

Yes. You can’t claim back any VAT paid out unless you have a valid VAT invoice or receipt to prove that VAT was charged. The only exception would be for coin operated machines (e.g. parking, phone, road tolls) which can be claimed if you have evidence that the supplier is VAT registered.